Easy Permitting for Waterfront Structures

Having a good, strong dock with lifts can ensure great housing for your boats all year round. Getting permits for building along the waterfront can be a real hassle, however. Each state will have different rules for the waterfront area of your property, so here are some common things to consider once you decide to develop that section.

Building Codes for Marine Structures

Your general contractor for regular home-building may not be able to assist you with the buildings you want to erect along the waterway. Building structures along the river or lake in your jurisdiction may involve some separate and difficult-to-obtain permits along the way. It pays to hire a good marine inspection services company to make sure all phases of the building go smoothly.

State Laws for Waterfront Buildings

Every state has different rules regarding building structures on wetlands and waterfront areas. Checking your state and local codes is the first place to start. The laws change every year and there are lists of things to consider. It’s a good idea to leave this type of thing to consultants who have dealt with this area of your particular state’s laws for a long time. Like with any building, you want to pass inspection the first time and this means hiring the correct contractor and pre-inspection team to begin with.

Common Buildings for Waterfront Usage

Some common items people build along their waterfront properties are bulkheads, seawalls, docks, dock lifts, walkways and boat pylons. Whether you own a sailboat, a flatboat or even a yacht, having structures built to assist with parking your marine vehicles is something all property owners along the waterfront eventually decide upon. Even if you don’t own a boat, you may want to eventually sell the property to someone who does. If you are deciding to carve out that area of your property along the waterway, you should be sure the development will pass state inspection and follow the current state and local codes.

Assistance for Selling Waterfront Property

If you are planning on selling your property that contains waterfront areas, then you’ll want to be sure the property is up to date for permits and public-use access of areas on the property where applicable. You’ll probably want a professional marine inspector who has experience with current state codes to have a look at your property before selling it. You won’t be able to legally sell to a new owner if you have structures that are in disrepair or otherwise need updating under the auspices of your state’s waterfront property rules.

This entry was posted in Main.